WE ARE UTVA
As part of your child’s education, elementary schools in Utah schedule a maturation presentation for 5th grade students each year. 5th grade students will be invited along with their parents/guardians to participate in a maturation program of instruction, which includes Health Core Standards outlined by the Utah State Board of Education. Utah law requires that active (opt in) parent consent is obtained for students to participate (R277-474-5).
For our virtual environment at UTVA, we have obtained permission from Davis School District to share Maturation Video Presentations they created for 5th grade students. Presentations include a video presentation (board approved June 2018) with scripted curriculum (board approved Oct. 2, 2012). Presenters in the videos were approved by the Curriculum Review Committee.
UTVA Permission Forms Here:
The online 30 minute video presentation will cover the following information:
- It will help students identify body changes that accompany puberty, which includes a description of the basic structures of the male or female reproductive and endocrine systems and functions.
- It will describe how the timing of puberty and adolescent development varies, including that there is a wide range of what is healthy or typical.
- It will help students identify behaviors that contribute to healthy body image (posture, hygiene, exercise, diet).
- It will help students identify physical, social, and emotional changes that occur during puberty and adolescence and healthy ways to manage these changes.
- It will help students recognize fluctuations in emotions and will discuss ways of dealing with emotional changes.
- It will help students recognize physical changes that occur during puberty and how puberty prepares human bodies for reproduction.
- It will help students identify characteristics of teasing, bullying, harassment, and inappropriate contact.
- It will help students identify trusted adults to talk with about puberty.